Lithographic plate, early 20th century, Knoxville, Stone, Gift of Stubley-Knox Litho Co., 1955.3.2.
Built in 1923, the Knoxville Fireproof Storage building was at the time the only fireproof storage in the city. The roof once held a large water tank for the multi-floor sprinkler system. This building still stands in Knoxville, a highly visible building on the landscape at the fringes of the Old City. This lithographic plate was used to print advertisements for the company and lists its employees at the time. It has two advertisements side by side for more efficient printing, as was often the case with lithographic plates. The image itself would be coated with ink while the blank space was treated so as to repel ink in the printing process.