The McClung Museum retains all reproduction rights for its photographic images and films. For personal and academic use (not publication), the public is free to use unaltered images from our website provided they use the credit line “Courtesy McClung Museum of Natural History & Culture, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, [Object #, where known]” and the URL: mcclungmuseum.utk.edu.” See the Image Use FAQ for more information about fair/educational use of museum images.
Digital images and use permissions are available for purchase. Granting or withholding of permission is determined by the museum on a case-by-case basis. Please note that UT policy #RE00001-K prohibits the creation, publication, or reproduction of images of NAGPRA-eligible human remains and cultural objects without the written permission of the appropriate Native American tribes.
Steps to Order Image
- Read our Rights & Reproductions Terms & Conditions
- Review our Fee Schedule
- Submit an Image Permission Request Form
Upon receipt of the form, we will review your request, determine the image availability, and apply the necessary fees.
For questions, please contact:
Registrar and Collections Manager Andrew Washburn | firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Tennessee, 1327 Circle Park Drive
Knoxville, TN 37996-3200
Rights & Reproductions services are subject to the following guidelines:
- Requests for images must be made using the Image Permission Request Form online.
- UT policy #RE00001-K prohibits the creation, publication, or reproduction of images of NAGPRA-eligible human remains and cultural objects without the written permission of the appropriate Native American tribes.
- Applicants must complete the Conditions of Image Use form provided by the museum following receipt and review of the Image Permission Request Form.
- Fees must be received and cleared prior to release of the digital file(s). With payment of the invoice, together with the completed Conditions of Image Use form, constitutes official permission for reproduction.
- Fees for digital image(s) and usage on the Fee Schedule are subject to change without notice. All fees directly support the museum.
- Order processing time begins once payment has been received and cleared. Allow at least two weeks for processing time. Delivery time will depend upon method chosen. Applicants should be aware that the museum photographic services are ancillary to the museum program. Museum photography (e.g., exhibits, publicity, conservation, in-house publications, etc.) takes precedence over requests by collection users and others.
- Digital files are either uploaded to a file transfer site managed by the museum or burned to CDs and mailed. The museum does not provide printing services beyond basic photocopies for research or personal use purposes
Rights & Reproduction Terms & Conditions
- Permission is granted for only one usage in one publication, one edition, and in one language, worldwide. Additional language editions and subsequent editions will be considered upon receipt of additional request(s). Exclusive rights will not be granted.
- Permission may not be transferred, assigned, or sold.
- Permission is given with the understanding that one copy of the publication in which the image(s) appears will be sent gratis to the museum attention to the Registrar.
- The image(s) must be credited: Courtesy McClung Museum of Natural History and Culture, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, plus any additional credit information as provided by the museum.
- Permission and possible fees may be required from the copyright owner independently of the museum. It is the applicant’s obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing images.
- The image(s) must be reproduced in its entirety. No cropping, bleeding, or retouching is allowed. When a detail is used, the word “detail” must appear in the credit line.
- Nothing may be superimposed on the image(s).
- The image(s) cannot be used to show or imply that the museum endorses any commercial products or enterprise, concurs with the opinions expressed in, or confirms the accuracy of any text used with the images provided by the museum.
- The applicant agrees to take all due care to protect the image(s) from unauthorized use by any person or entity.
Image Processing Fees (per image)
|New Photography (per hour, 1 hour min.)
***Cannot be scanned due to size, media, or condition
Use Fees (per image, single use)
(one language, one edition, worldwide, interior)
(one language, one edition, worldwide, cover/jacket)
|Film / TV / Video||$25||$100|
|Reuse (percentage of current Use Fee)||75%||75%|
For additional languages and/or large print runs (more than 25,000) please inquire for quote.
The museum does not charge Use Fees for scholarly research or personal use; only the Image Processing Fees apply.
|Research Fees (per hour, 1 hour min)
Postage and Handling
(Domestic & Foreign)
|actual cost||actual cost|
(within three business days, excludes objects requiring new photography)
|%50 of total cost||%50 of total cost|
The museum accepts major credit cards and checks made payable to McClung Museum. Further payment instructions are provided on the invoice prepared by the museum’s Registrar. For questions, please contact: Andrew Washburn, Registrar, email@example.com.
*Nonprofit fees apply to not-for-profit institutions/organizations and individuals conducting research for personal-use only, study, teaching, comparative purposes, and/or reproduction in scholastic publications.
**Printed Media includes but is not limited to: books (interior and covers/jackets), magazines, journals, newsletters, catalogs, brochures, posters, flyers, and exhibition/public displays.