The McClung Museum retains all reproduction rights for its photographic images and films. For personal and academic use (not publication), the public is free to use unaltered images from our website provided they use the credit line “Courtesy McClung Museum of Natural History & Culture, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville,” and the URL: mcclungmuseum.utk.edu.” See the Image Use FAQ for more information about fair/educational use of museum images.
Images of museum objects are available for purchase, and permission to use these images can be requested. Granting or withholding of permission is determined by the museum on a case-by-case basis.
Ordering and Reproducing Images
To request permission to publish an image, please complete the Image Permission Request Form online. Upon receipt of the form, a staff member will advise if the image can be reproduced and determine reproduction fees. If you would like to fill out a physical form, please save the PDF version of the Image Permission Request Form to your computer, fill it out, and then fax or email to the information below.
Please note that processing the Image Permission Request Form may take several weeks to fulfill, and requests may involve fees.
For questions, please contact:
Lindsay Kromer, Rights and Reproductions
McClung Museum, University of Tennessee, 1327 Circle Park Drive, Knoxville, TN 37996-3200
Image Use Fees
The following fees are for one-time use of an image provided by the museum. Use of images in advertising, promotions, merchandise, and other commercial applications is subject to higher use fees and will be quoted individually. The museum reserves the right to change any or all of its fees at any time.
- Nonprofit, scholarly use: $10/image plus shipping
- Other publication use: $100/image plus shipping
Policies and Forms
Rights & Reproduction Policy
Rights & Reproductions services are subject to the following guidelines:
- Requests for images must be made using the Image Permission Request Form online or by faxing or emailing a completed version of the Image Permission Request PDF form.
- All permission to publish is given with the understanding that a copy of the publication will be sent gratis to the museum.
- At least 5 working days from request approval must be allowed for the generation of the requested images. Delivery time will depend upon method chosen. Requesters should be aware that the museum photographic services are ancillary to the museum program. Museum photography (e.g., exhibits, publicity, conservation, in-house publications, etc.) takes precedence over requests by collection users and others.
- Images must be credited: Courtesy McClung Museum of Natural History and Culture, the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. You will be advised whether the name of the photographer also needs to be included.
- Unless otherwise requested, images will be provided on a CD as TIFF files with a minimum of 300dpi. Other formats (negatives, prints from negatives, transparencies, 35mm slides, etc.) are custom work that requires consultation with the museum’s media productions coordinator.
- Unless sent electronically, shipping costs will be charged. Note that most files are too large to send electronically and will require shipping a CD.
- If the image requested does not exist in the museum archives, a digital image will be generated by the museum photographer at a cost of $20 per image.